I've been in the mood for writing but with no inspiration, so I've used quotes to get me going! It's fairly simple - I took five quotes from the 'random' page of quotationspage.com, and wrote five drabbles. Each is exactly 100 words long, which oddly enough I find more difficult than writing longer ones!
Most are slashy, but I wouldn't rate any of them as higher than PG. Oh, and I've included the quotes and who said them after each drabble.
Private Lives
(Author's note: David's POV)
They'll know, I'm sure. By the time DiBergi's crew finish filming, everyone'll know – there'll be tape proving it, even. Nigel always said that hiding this wasn't a good idea, that it'd all come out one day and there'd be hell to pay from the press, but what alternative is there? If we showed the media that we're together, who would take Spinal Tap seriously?
We'll have to stop once the cameras arrive. I'll ask Jeanine to come, she'll throw them off the scent – but it'll break Nigel's heart.
I don't want this to be filmed. Private lives shouldn't become public.
You should not live one way in private, another in public.
Publilius Syrus (~100 BC)
- - -
Fools
When Nigel received his first guitar, it was in lieu of a grand piano. "He's a kid," his parents agreed, "he'll grow out of it. Why buy something expensive to be thrown away?"
When David played his first tour, he booked time off work. "Fame is fickle," friends reasoned. "Don't quit your day job."
When the band filmed This Is Spinal Tap, it was ridiculed. "A middle-aged attempt in vain at relevancy," papers declared.
When laying in David's arms after Wembley in 2009, Nigel contemplated these things. "Are we old now?"
"Oh yes," David whispered.
"Still foolish?"
"Of course."
"Good."
Be wise with speed. A fool at forty is a fool indeed.
Edward Young (1683 - 1765)
- - -
Speak Clearly
"David?"
"Yeah?"
"You got the time?"
"About half past midnight."
"Getting late."
"Or early."
"That's true. I might go to bed then."
"Okay."
"There was a problem in my room earlier."
"What sort of problem?"
"Oh, uh, the tap. In the bathroom."
"The tap?"
"I think so. You're good at these things, could you have a look?"
"Can't it wait until tomorrow?"
"Yeah, alright. Would you like to see the room, anyway? The view's really nice."
"Nigel?"
"Yeah?"
"What are you talking about?"
Nigel blushed. "Stay with me?"
"You only needed to ask," David laughed, as he took Nigel's hand.
Speak clearly, if you speak at all; carve every word before you let it fall.
Oliver Wendell Holmes (1809 - 1894)
- - -
Sacrifice
(Author's note: Derek's POV)
It's a bit of a cliché, innit? Being the omniscient bassist, the quiet one in the back who keeps an eye on the world. It's true though – I don't think anyone realises, but I watch. I see Nigel mooning over David during every gig, following him like a lost puppy every day, putting himself out just to please him.
I honestly don't think that David's realised – and why would he? He's got Jeanine, right?
I feel sorry for Nigel, I really do. If divorce has taught me one thing, it's that no person's happiness is worth sacrificing your own for.
We are more interested in making others believe we are happy than in trying to be happy ourselves.
Francois De La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680)
- - -
Message
"Nigel," the interviewer asks, "Do your songs have a message?"
"Well, it's about the music, innit?" He looks at David, who nods.
"Yeah. That's the message, the music is the message."
"You write music about music? That's what you're saying?"
"No," sighs David, "the message is in the music."
Nigel agrees. "People hear the music, and hear the message, which is 'listen to our music'."
"Then, they realise they're already listening to the music."
"That's right. So they buy it."
"Unless they already have, because they're listening to it."
"So," the interviewer nods, "the medium is the message?"
"...What medium?"
The medium is the message.
Marshall McLuhan (1911 - 1980)
(Archived at my website)
Most are slashy, but I wouldn't rate any of them as higher than PG. Oh, and I've included the quotes and who said them after each drabble.
Private Lives
(Author's note: David's POV)
They'll know, I'm sure. By the time DiBergi's crew finish filming, everyone'll know – there'll be tape proving it, even. Nigel always said that hiding this wasn't a good idea, that it'd all come out one day and there'd be hell to pay from the press, but what alternative is there? If we showed the media that we're together, who would take Spinal Tap seriously?
We'll have to stop once the cameras arrive. I'll ask Jeanine to come, she'll throw them off the scent – but it'll break Nigel's heart.
I don't want this to be filmed. Private lives shouldn't become public.
You should not live one way in private, another in public.
Publilius Syrus (~100 BC)
Fools
When Nigel received his first guitar, it was in lieu of a grand piano. "He's a kid," his parents agreed, "he'll grow out of it. Why buy something expensive to be thrown away?"
When David played his first tour, he booked time off work. "Fame is fickle," friends reasoned. "Don't quit your day job."
When the band filmed This Is Spinal Tap, it was ridiculed. "A middle-aged attempt in vain at relevancy," papers declared.
When laying in David's arms after Wembley in 2009, Nigel contemplated these things. "Are we old now?"
"Oh yes," David whispered.
"Still foolish?"
"Of course."
"Good."
Be wise with speed. A fool at forty is a fool indeed.
Edward Young (1683 - 1765)
Speak Clearly
"David?"
"Yeah?"
"You got the time?"
"About half past midnight."
"Getting late."
"Or early."
"That's true. I might go to bed then."
"Okay."
"There was a problem in my room earlier."
"What sort of problem?"
"Oh, uh, the tap. In the bathroom."
"The tap?"
"I think so. You're good at these things, could you have a look?"
"Can't it wait until tomorrow?"
"Yeah, alright. Would you like to see the room, anyway? The view's really nice."
"Nigel?"
"Yeah?"
"What are you talking about?"
Nigel blushed. "Stay with me?"
"You only needed to ask," David laughed, as he took Nigel's hand.
Speak clearly, if you speak at all; carve every word before you let it fall.
Oliver Wendell Holmes (1809 - 1894)
Sacrifice
(Author's note: Derek's POV)
It's a bit of a cliché, innit? Being the omniscient bassist, the quiet one in the back who keeps an eye on the world. It's true though – I don't think anyone realises, but I watch. I see Nigel mooning over David during every gig, following him like a lost puppy every day, putting himself out just to please him.
I honestly don't think that David's realised – and why would he? He's got Jeanine, right?
I feel sorry for Nigel, I really do. If divorce has taught me one thing, it's that no person's happiness is worth sacrificing your own for.
We are more interested in making others believe we are happy than in trying to be happy ourselves.
Francois De La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680)
Message
"Nigel," the interviewer asks, "Do your songs have a message?"
"Well, it's about the music, innit?" He looks at David, who nods.
"Yeah. That's the message, the music is the message."
"You write music about music? That's what you're saying?"
"No," sighs David, "the message is in the music."
Nigel agrees. "People hear the music, and hear the message, which is 'listen to our music'."
"Then, they realise they're already listening to the music."
"That's right. So they buy it."
"Unless they already have, because they're listening to it."
"So," the interviewer nods, "the medium is the message?"
"...What medium?"
The medium is the message.
Marshall McLuhan (1911 - 1980)
(Archived at my website)